In French, “Madeleine” means “small rich shelled cake” and “something which brings back a memory; a source of nostalgia or evocative memories”. Make it vegan, and you have the perfect addition to a mid-day cup of coffee or evening tea. The perfect fall & winter addition!
I’ve had Madeleine on my “to-make” list for a while; this small—yet oh–so delightfully delectable recipe that you’re going to want to bake up throughout the upcoming fall & winter months!
Cozy up with your current read, fuzzy soaks, a warm blanket, a cup of tea and truly enjoy these delicate little cakes! My 9 year old daughter is learning French, so this recipe was also integrated into our French studies— a yummy win-win!
The Vegan Momma Madeleines
- Madeleine Shell Pan
- Mixing Bowl
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (or oil of choice)
- 1/4 cup almond milk (or non dairy milk or choice)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven at 350 F and brush the madeleines pan with oil.
- Mix water and ground flax in a bowl and set aside for 10 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl add coconut oil and sugar. Beat until light and fluffy.
- Add in almond milk, flax egg, and vanilla.
- Finally, add the baking powder and all-purpose flour.
- Fold in gently and transfer the batter in the prepared madeleines pan.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from oven, let them cool on ventilated baking rack.
- Serve or store in air right containers. Enjoy!
I’m looking forward to seeing what you think of these delicious “little cakes”, my little ones had a blast helping make these, and have now put in madeleine orders for their birthdays!
Best Health Wishes,
The Vegan Momma